By: Jan R. Prusinski, PE
Belknap Place was constructed in 1914, in the Monte Vista district of San Antonio. At the time, San Antonio was the largest city in Texas, and a hub of urban activity. The automobile first appeared in San Antonio (and Texas) in 1899. The City issued its first road bonds in 1907. Henry Ford introduced the Model T in 1908, with a subsequent exponential expansion of motorized vehicles. And portland cement and concrete were still relatively new materials, with San Antonio at the forefront of these exciting technologies.